- 57.5 grams
- United States
- West Point - US Mint
2008 Gold Buffalo 4-Coin Set Brilliant Uncirculated (w/Box & COA)
This beautiful set includes all four sizes (1 oz, 1/2 oz, 1/4 oz, 1/10 oz) of the Gold Buffalo coins and is the only year that fractional Gold Buffalos were minted!
Outstanding set, MS condition.
Mintage of only 6,049 sets!
- Contains a total of 1.85 oz actual Gold weight.
- Housed in the original mint box with a certificate of authenticity.
- Obverse: James Earle Fraser's classic portrait of an American Indian in profile, as first seen on the Buffalo Nickel in 1913.
- Reverse: the American Buffalo, adapted from the original reverse of the classic Buffalo Nickel. This image is thought to be based on Black Diamond, a buffalo living in the Central Park Zoo in the early 20th century.
- This Brilliant Uncirculated set of Gold Buffalos features the West Point Mint's "W" mintmark.
- Guaranteed by the U.S. Mint.
As well as appealing strongly to collectors, this classic Gold Buffalo Set gains even more collectibility since 2008 was the only year that fractional Gold Buffalos were issued.
In conjunction with the expanded number of collectible Gold Buffalo coins for the year, the United States Mint offered the 2008 Gold Buffalo Four Coin Set. For the first time, the US Mint had produced fractional weight coins for the popular 24 karat gold series in addition to the previously offered one ounce coins. Collectible uncirculated versions across the full range of denominations were also offered. The additional coins were available individually, or as part of the 4 Coin Sets produced for collectors who wanted a convenient way to purchase all four denominations.
Each 2008 Gold Buffalo 4 Coin Set included the one ounce $50 denomination, one-half ounce $25 denomination , one-quarter ounce $10 denomination, and one-tenth ounce $5 denomination. The coins were presented in a custom hardwood box with a matte finish and faux leather insert. The boxes were constructed so that the coins could be placed at an angle for display. Each set included a certificate of authenticity signed by the Director of the United States Mint. Separate 4 Coin Sets were available for proof and uncirculated coins.